Monday, August 8, 2011

In Print

leftovers

leftovers
works cited: secondhand joe's jeans hacked at the knee; forever 21 top; volcom sandals; thrifted bag; bracelet mooched from emily

Because I work with words, I often find the written description of things more pleasing than the things themselves. A fresh baguette in person--pleasing. The delicious, crispy, crunchy words "fresh baguette"-- somehow infinitely more satisfying to me. The same goes for clothes; I love descriptions of items far more than the pieces themselves. And a description of today's outfit--cut off jeans, lacy tee, flat sandals--somehow sounds breezier and more put together than I actually felt wearing it. The way in which words trump experience is truest when it comes to "road trip." These always sound fun in print, but in person, when you've been stuffed in a suburu for 12 hours and eaten chex-mix for lunch, it is less delightful.
P.S. DC, here we come!

13 comments:

Liz said...

I think you look perfectly casual chic! Be safe traveling to DC - looking forward to seeing your new locations!

eek said...

I agree - road trips always sounds more fun than they really are. Be safe and good luck settling in!

ssm said...

Ooh, I *love* road trips. Or maybe I just love road trip food, and stopping off at places with The Superlative _Something Weird_.

Lenore @ Lather. Write. Repeat. said...

Road trips are the best - you look perfectly dressed for a good one!

XO
Lenore

wildchild said...

ha your outfit is what road trips are made of. have fun :)

Evie said...

I feel you on beautiful words often trumping experiences. (I wouldn't have it any other way, though)

Jenn said...

Cute top! I hope your road trip goes well!! For some reason, I thought you were already in DC..opps! Anyway, you have such a lovely way with words. I really enjoy reading your posts. :)

Paige (Final Clothes-Out) said...

Safe travels! I can't wait to hear about DC.

AJD ∞ said...

I love road trips, but it's true. The anticipation and planning is much more fun than being folded into a stuffed car. Imagine doing that with an 80lb dog taking up the back seat! Sounds fun, but--to be frank--it wasn't.

Tracy said...

Enjoy DC, it's wonderful! Be sure to visit Design Sponge's travel page for great things to do while you're there.

Nicki said...

I completely concur that "road trip" sounds way more adventurous in theory than it actually is in practice. Take a 12 hour drive across Newfoundland, Canada for example - rugged, craggy cliffs and sparse but resilient pines get real old, real fast after they're all you see for 12+ hours! Haha =).
Nicki
http://singlittlebird.blogspot.com

allie said...

At least you're probably not like me where you have to spend the entire trip taking dramamine (which, by the way, only works because it knocks you out, causing you to miss the few and far between parts of road tripping that actually are fun) due to awful motion sickness. Road trips=not my thing. Your outfit is great though, casual but still cute and fun!

Celynne said...

Have a good trip! And cute bag, I actually thrifted a similar one recently too.

Post a Comment