Monday, March 29, 2010

Nose? Meet Grindstone.

Nose? Meet Grindstone.

Works Cited
checkered skirt: thrifted
black belt: j crew
embellished tee: old navy
teal tights: gap
flats: steve madden
earrings: thrifted

I am firmly of the camp that you need a vacation to recover from a vacation, especially one that has two 24-hour continuous travel days (woof). (I posted some London pictures yesterday here--feel free to check them out if you are so inclined.) While I'm feeling pretty good, it's rough getting back to work, structured clothing, and teaching after a week in leggings and pleasure reading. It's especially tough because it is supposed to be 70 degrees later this week (!!) and I am itching to wear a few things that have been hiding in my closet since the fall. Today, sadly it's still kinda chilly, so I'm taking the opportunity to wear a few last cold-weather pieces.

Nose? Meet Grindstone.

It's still pretty brisk today, so I had the chance to wear this checkered skirt I thrifted with Elena a few weeks back (p.s. check out her amazing plaid trench!). It's a little seventies--it is black, teal, pink, and yellow! Luckily the pattern is small enough that it actually looks cool instead of just bizarre. Dressing with a patterned piece is so easy--I just picked one of the colors from the skirt for my tights and kept everything else simple with black.

27 comments:

Sabrina said...

Love it!!! the high waisted effect is so great on you!

spoozyliciouzz said...

You´re looking good...it seems to me you´re the kind of girl that seems to have been born with a skirt on...it just looks so naturally.

Shop T.O. Live said...

Welcome back.

The tights add a playfulness to the outfit. The skirt (although colourful in its own way) can come off a bit conservative, so I'm glad you made it more fun with the coloured tights. Great idea!

ShopTOLive.ca

eek said...

I agree - it always takes me a few days to get back into the swing of things after a vacation.

I love your skirt - great pattern and shape!

Jenny said...

You look so chic. I love the title of this blog--it needs to be my mantra right now, too!

alltumbledown said...

Welcome back! Glad to hear that your vacation was fun, and totally feeling you on the need for some recovery time... And wow, what a skirt. I am always so happy to see you in pattern, and this is a wonderful silhouette on you to boot.

lumikha said...

your tights look great with the whole outfit. great color combo! :)

caffeinerd said...

Ooh love it all high waisted and belted! I have those tights, too---yay for teal and gold via gap! Thanks for the trench shoutout :)

Best of luck recovering from your vacation/getting back into the swing of things!

Chelsea said...

you do colored tight so well! I am so using that patterned skirt/dress/piece color choosing idea!

PS glad you're back, but sad you're in the bummer stage of getting back from vacation. ahhhh if only life was ALWAYS that sweet :)

Sal said...

Oh for sure! Post-vacation recovery days are vital. So sorry you couldn't take any ...

And I'm in the same boat. It's supposed to be 70 tomorrow, but still plenty nippy today.

The tights really make that skirt shine, lady!

Molly said...

so cute! I love the colour of your tights.

enSTYLEpedia said...

welcome home. love the tights.

Unravelled Threads said...

Oh.My.Gosh. That skirt is an AMAZING find.

http://unravelledthreads.blogspot.com/

Melanie's Randomness said...

Oh don't you look great!! Love the skirt & the blue tights!! Oh yeah you might feel the jet-lag. Maybe try to get some extra sleep if you can & have some Vitamin C to adjust back!! Welcome back!

Kayla said...

Welcome home. I'm glad you had a good time. I love the blue tights.

http://senseofstyleiseternal.blogspot.com/

Monique said...

I really like the skirt. The pattern is very nice! I like how you matched it up with the teal tights.

Mara said...

great skirt! everything looks like it's put together so well!

eunice said...

great simple chic look. The coloured tights are a wonderful touch!

heyfancypants.blogspot.com

whatiwore said...

Ooh, I have my own pair of teal tights that I don't much wear... thanks for the inspiration!

anotherfishinthesea said...

good luck getting back into the swing of things! I am in total agreement on the needing a vacation to recover from vacation!

Jennifer Fabulous said...

Such a pretty and classy outfit. I love that skirt! :) And yay for 70 degree weather!

Lexie said...

those teal tights are the perfect pop of color!

also, i always try to ask for one extra day off after vacation! it's just too exhausting to jump back into things right off the bat!

Deconstruction said...

That is definitely my type of skirt!

megara said...

i totally know what you mean! traveling can zap the energy out of ya! hope you had a fabulous trip!!

freshbrownies

Emily Kennedy said...

Wow. I never would have guessed that skirt had so many fun colors! It passes as conservative quite well!

chaoskontrolowany said...

Cute tights!:)

princesspolitico said...

you look lovely in this high-waist dream! that skinny belt is absolutely fantastic :)

xo.
princesspolitico.blogspot.com

Post a Comment