Monday, February 8, 2010

Lesson Plan: Different Ways to Tie Scarves

I have gotten a few emails with questions about scarves and how to tie them, so a lesson plan on scarves seemed in order. However, my biggest caveat about myself and scarves is that I'm a rampant plagiarizer, so I'm linking back to some of the bloggers from whom I've stolen here. As weird as it was to take pictures of my upper body only (hence my sheepish expression in most of these), I hope this gives you a few ideas if you're looking for them!

Ascot Wrap

The Ascot Wrap
If you ask me, the best way to tie a large-ish square scarf. Academichic has a terrific explanation here. Fold your scarf in half to make a triangle, and wrap around your neck with the largest side (point-downward) facing front. You can tuck the ends under, keep them loose, or knot them gently underneath. I often fluff out each side of the triangle, too.

Rectangle Wrap

The Rectangle Wrap
Fold your square scarf in a rectangle rather than in a triangle, and loosely wrap around your neck.

Belted Scarf

The Belted Scarf
I'm not huge on belting scarves, but if I were, I would belt a lightweight square scarf like this, making sure the ends are fluffed out enough not to look meagre, and belting high on my natural waist.

Orchid Grey Wrap

The Orchid Grey Wrap
Plagiarized shamelessly from Julie, who does an excellent tutorial here. Wrap scarf around your neck once and then tuck the ends around inside the loop you've already created.

Messy Orchid Grey Wrap

Messy Orchid Grey Wrap
Do as above, leaving out more bits and pieces.

Basic Loop

Basic Loop
I wonder if this even needs instructions, it's so simple. But it's also classic, and is a great way of showing off a pop of color even under a buttoned-up coat. Without wrapping your scarf a million times, it also layers more smoothly under things. And it's perfect for studying in a chilly library on a winter night.

Elaine's Knot

Elaine's Knot
Stolen from Elaine of clothed much, this is a basic loop with knotted ends. I think Elaine might knot the end twice (double knot) rather than a single knot as I've done here.

The Warmest Way

The Warmest Way
Take Elaine's knot and tuck the knot under the loop, wrapping closely around your neck. I swear this is the warmest way to tie a scarf (even warmer than the Orchid Grey wrap because it leaves no part of your decolletage exposed to winter air), and it fits well under the collar of a coat. Figuring out this technique saved my neck from frostbite the year I moved to the midwest.

European Loop

The European Loop
Easy and breezy--the chics also posted about it here--this loop is how all my stylish college girlfriends in the class older than me tied their scarves the semester they returned from London. Fold your scarf in half around your neck and slide the ends through the loop.

Double European Loop

Double European Loop
Do as above, with two scarves. I prefer one with a pattern for more visual interest. Lay the scarves out together, letting the colors mix (personally, I like the look when the two are intertwined rather than layered on separately) before doing a European loop.

Double Wrap

Double Wrap
Enfold the two scarves together and loop round your neck several times, taking care to tuck in or fluff out the ends where you see fit.

Whew! Hope this breathes some life into your beloved winter scarves!

42 comments:

Clare said...

These are great! You have an awesome scarf collection, too!

SB said...

love those european influenced trends! oh and of course elaine's!

Sidewalk Chalk said...

Love this tutorial -- and your scarf collection! I'm a European loop girl myself, but I've always wanted to try some of the other styles.

- JoAnn, Sidewalk Chalk

Lisa said...

I heart your scarf collection and appreciate all the different ways of scarf wrapping. I love scarfs myself and need to start incorporating more of them into my wardrobe. My BF thinks it's weird to wear a scarf sans jacket.

La Historiadora de Moda said...

I love that first scarf! It's just gorgeous! I tend to wear the European loop most frequently, but I also like to belt scarves with skinny or wide belts.

e. said...

Thanks for doing this--super useful.

Larysse Tavares said...

So good dear! Unfortunately I almost don't use scarves, the always-sunny-and-hot weather doesn't help much, but now I'm sure going to look for some and do somethhing creative with the. Kisses :*

eek said...

Fabulous tutorial - I can't wait to try out some new ways to wear my scarves - thanks :)

Jenny said...

I never knew there were so many ways to knot a scarf. I can't wait to test drive some of these looks. Thanks!

Jenny @ sundryelements.blogspot.com

Fashion Therapist said...

Thank you for posting these "How To's"...I've been looking for new ways to tie my scarves and I'm excited to try these.

Julie said...

Nice work! Geez. I never would have thought of half of those ways. Love the belted look--but I also am always fussing about it if I try to do that all day.

Elaine said...

This post is AWESOME. I totally tweeted it. Thanks for the shout-out! ;)

I'll have to try tucking the knot in. And the messy Orchid Grey!


clothedmuch.blogspot.com

Sal said...

What a great array of ties, and so many I've never seen nor tired myself!

perfectionishuman said...

I usually stick to scarves that are long and a bit a thinner.. having no neck to speak of means I can never ever wear scarves like this :'( WOE IS ME.

orchidsinbuttonholes said...

I love this post! I had never tried tying a scarf in half these ways, and you've made me excited that winter is several weeks longer so I can try all of them before it gets too warm again! My favorite is the doubled scarves (and those you picked in particular) - from a distance, it looks like you're wearing a really intricate and colorful scarf because the colors play off each other so well.

Thanks for this post!

Jen said...

one of the best scarf posts i've seen! :) i love how you covered almost everything regardless of whether or not you would wear it in that style. i remember seeing elaine's way of wearing a scarf and i copy it every now and again. love your edited version of that look by tucking the knot under. i'll have to try that sometime :)

Diana said...

This is a great collection! I love how everyone keeps finding more and more awesome ways to tie scarves.

daisychain said...

fantastic post, saved for future reference!

Lottie said...

great ideas!!

Girl from the North Country said...

this is a fantastic post!!! I answers so many of my how to tie a scarf questions! I love this!

Abigail said...

Wow, I had no idea there were so many ways to where a scarf! I'll defiantly have to try some of those. Awesome post.

Audrey J. said...

this is a wonderful tutorial!! i was about looking for one today!! thank you i'll show you how my outfits will look ;)

sharonlei said...

I love scarves even though we don't really wear them (or need them) here in Hawaii. :) It's fun way to add some color to a simple outfit... Thanks for stopping by my blog.. yours is super cute.. fun outfits!! Hope you're having a great day.

xx Love & Aloha.

Monique said...

This was so incredibly helpful! I have a few scarves that I've been wanting to wear in new ways & this will allow me to do that. Thank you!

Jessica said...

I never thought of wearing two scarves together before, really great idea!

Christen said...

Absolutely loved this tutorial and now I'm totally inspired to wear all of my scarves :)

Kendi Lea said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I always seem to get stuck on one of two ways that I wear my scarves. This helps so much!

God's Favorite Shoes! said...

I love these ideas! Thank you for the pictorals! I am gonna rock some scarves this week!

anagha said...

I have a long wide scarf that I like to tie similar to your "warmest way" except I let the ends with the fridges hang out under the fold. This ads texture and reduces a bit of bulk, but still keeps me covered up!

Thanks for the tutorial!

Academichic said...

Great photo tutorial! And thanks for the shout out! Great minds DO think alike ;)

S

piglet said...

Oooh so many great ideas! Thanks.

Fell 4 Fashion said...

I'm totally saving this post in my faves! Thanks for showing me some ways I didn't know how to do!!!

Stel said...

This was so so helpful and useful. I shall be wearing a scarf tomorrow.. now to decide what way.. Thanks for this!

xx Stel

http://perfectlyindecisive.co.cc/

Alien said...

Love the scarves!

vĂȘtements dĂ©ments said...

loved this post - I already knew most of the ties but had never thought to wear two scarves. Now, the past few days I've been obsessively mixing and matching them - and enjoying the compliments they earn :). Now if only I could take my photos early in the day when they were tied nicely and not in the evening when I'm a disheveled mess.

Manon said...

Such a sweet tutorial!
I love this post.

Teresa said...

Great scarf ideas! I'm always looking for new ways to wear my many scarves!

http://www.invasionista.com

MaeMae Paperie said...

LOoooooove the belted version!

coleenpq said...

Thanks for this guide/tutorial!

Natasha xoxo said...

I purchased some scarves in China a few weeks ago! Thanks for posting...who knew there were so many ways to tie a scarf :)

http://poshxoxo.blogspot.com/

Bella said...

Great photo tutorials--so helpful! It's always great to discover ways to tie a scarf, especially when you live in a country where the rain and wind never stop! Thank you!

danabee368 said...

Great tutorial! I love finding new things to do with my scarves. I also found a really cool site on StumbleUpon on how to wear a scarf 37 different ways. Thought this might be helpful!

http://www.scarves.net/how-to-tie-a-scarf/head-scarves.htm

There are also some winter scarves on the site that I think are pretty great, have you ever seen any of these shiny ones? They are different!

http://www.affordablescarves.com/season/winter/

Post a Comment