Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Thinking Warm Thoughts

Thinking Warm Thoughts

Works Cited
gray skirt: thrifted, hemmed by me
cream sweater: j crew (on amazing sale a few years back)
belt: mommed
berry scarf: h&m
orange tights: mommed
brogues: steve madden

Today, I'm feeling especially grateful to Charmalade who pestered me to wear color a week or so back. I noticed that when I'm wearing something colorful, I feel a bit more awake and a bit livelier. And we could all use that in winter. While I went with a palette of my favorite neutrals today--gray wool skirt, cream sweater, brown belt and shoes, I added some warmth and color with a berry scarf and dark orange tights. Even though these tights are brighter than my usual range of navy, brown, and black, their rich hue and subtle texture makes them a perfect pairing with this wool skirt.

Thinking Warm Thoughts

As for this scarf, I picked it up last winter after I saw an extremely fashionable friend wearing it. Since then, I have had a rotten time styling it. Because it is made of jersey, it falls very strangely and doesn't wrap up as cozily as my wool and cashmere scarves. But today I'm going to force it to stay warm around my neck as I zip around town and meet the woman behind Caffeinerd for lunch (eeps, I'm excited!).

21 comments:

ANA said...

I really love this outfit!! It's so simple, made up of really basic pieces and shapes, but the warm color works so well with those neutrals. Wishing I had a grey skirt...

- Ana
http://www.ToilTroubleStyle.com

orchidsinbuttonholes said...

I love this outfit! The cranberry tights and scarf are fantastic, and I love how you tied the color in with your belt, too. I love when accessories pop like that - makes an outfit special and different.

Shop T.O. Live said...

Oh, the colours here are v creamy and delicious. I am in an effort to move away from black this winter but am finding it very challenging.

ShopTOLive.ca

caffeinerd said...

I'm excited, too!! Love the colors in this outfit :) (And now that I know what you're wearing you'll be easier for me to spot, yay!)

daisychain said...

I love your tights, such a fab colour.

Sal said...

Lady, you are so skilled in creating un-boring ensembles from neutrals and muted tones.

Elaine said...

That's sooo exciting!!!! You guys have to document everything and take a lot of pictures!! lol!

I love the orange tights. I want a pair for myself now! I've totally been loving your outfits this week. You manage to stay comfy and chic at the same time! I often just want to roll out of bed and go to work/school.


clothedmuch.blogspot.com

Hillary said...

I love your tights! Seeing yours makes me think that I need to find a pair of orange tights, too. I have yellow and red, but no orange yet. :)

La Historiadora de Moda said...

This is a gorgeous, gorgeous outfit! I'm so jealous that you and Elena are meeting up! I would love to meet both of you in the real world!

overcaffeinated said...

I love that your belt and tights are "mommed" which means that she must have amazing style and colour too.

That sweater looks so soft and I love the way you tied the scarf around your neck.

Melanie's Randomness said...

Ooo I like the adding of the color, especially your scarf.

Jen said...

i love the color palette of this outfit! i definitely have to start wearing more color as well...maybe i'll wear some colored tights today! those dark orange tights are just perfect with your wool skirt. :)

The Closet of Kim (ShopKim) said...

I love the berry and orange together - it's a beautiful combo! I hope you have a great time at your lunch.

Julie said...

Orange, white, and berry is so pretty for January. Nicely done.

Sarah said...

The color in this outfit is great. Nicely done and I love those tights.

http://thequeenofwanderlust.blogspot.com/

Charmalade said...

I'm so sorry if I came off as bullying you-- I felt bad when everyone else was "you look great in neutrals!" and here I was nagging going "colors!"

But! I love the warm toasty colors of this outfit, I'm so glad it made you feel livelier. :)

Law Girl said...

I love your outfit! I love how the classic pieces are updated with your awesome tights.

Molly said...

love the brogues! brogues are my favourite ever.

I just love this blog.

futurelint said...

Those tights are perfect! I love the color with the scarf! Lovely!

Marie McGrath (The Joy of Fashion) said...

the tights do look awesome with the grey skirt, good job!

www.thejoyoffashion.blogspot.com

Kendi Lea said...

I absolutely love this outfit. Everything about it is so great!

Post a Comment