Friday, January 22, 2010

The Rights of Woman

The Rights of Woman

Works Cited
blue-purple sweater: j crew
black blouse: erin featherstone for target
black skirt: thrifted
belt: urban outfitters
tights: hue
flats: steve madden
post title: anna letitia barbauld

Clearly, I've found a new favorite photo location. Unfortunately, it's in the middle of the road and requires frequent dodging of volvos speeding their way to work. Nevertheless, I can't get enough of the brick--it's awesome!

Today is the second day of teaching, and I took some of your excellent advice from day one and stepped it up a notch. Like the poem I'm teaching today, my outfit conveys both authority (mostly black, button-up top, high-waisted skirt), but also softness (an interesting color combination, a bright cardigan). My hair, on the other hand, says only that I had a good night's sleep and no time to fix it this morning (whoops!).

The Rights of Woman

I'm so excited by all the excellent comments and suggestions yesterday that I'm going to do a few Lesson Plans next week--posts where I try to show various ways of wearing certain pieces. Up first? How To Wear This Difficult-Colored Skirt.

17 comments:

Shop T.O. Live said...

I saw your comment on ClothedMuch - your question for her Q and A was great, I had to come visit your site. I also thought your reasons for dressing 'modestly' were so interesting.

Ever since I started working, I have been confused about how much I should let it affect my personal style - the ideas of 'professionalism' in my field are general v traditional. (In fact, I use my blog to document this transitional phase I am going through.)

Did you find this transition difficult? or did you always dress fairly conservatively?

ShopTOLive.ca

Django et Coco said...

Like Shop T.O Live,I also saw you on ClothedMuch! ;) Came visit over! adorable blog!

-Coco from Our Paper Moon

Melanie's Randomness said...

I totally like your outfit. I think its professional but fun professional. Kudos on the belts. I just don't have the body to where them but I think they are such a clean cut fashion statement. Good luck with your classes!!

The brick is a great background. Be careful!!!

Larysse Tavares said...

Sweet and classic! I love your outfits! Have a great day teaching. And yay! for the new topics about how to wear diffilcut clothes, hahaha.

Um abra├žo! (:

overcaffeinated said...

You look great! Very authoritative and chic. I love the pop of colour with the cardi.

A-C said...

I love this look. In fact, cardigans rather than blazers are probably my favorite for professors because it allows for more approachability. Coupled with an authoritative/outfit it sends the perfectly balanced message of authority and approachability. And the tights are just too cool. Love the brick!

Sal said...

I adore black with bright blue - such a modern pairing!

Law Girl said...

I absolutely love the color of your cardigan!

Elaine said...

LOL!!! I loved your comment about the volvos...

Again, you mastered authoritative and casual dress! And I actually like your hair like that... It looks like princess hair!

Also, what color are your tights? It looks like a blue gray from my screen...



clothedmuch.blogspot.com

What Would a Nerd Wear said...

yes, elaine, they are grayish blue. i saw another blogger recently wearing blue-gray with this royal purple/blue and then i stole the color combo!

Jen said...

the color of that cardigan is lovely! it really does make your teaching outfit a lot more interesting.
and i can't wait to see your upcoming lesson plan posts :D

Emily Kennedy said...

Oooh, very professional, and very lovely balance. Also, I love your hair down. It's a lucky thing when it looks this great even though you slept in!

Fell 4 Fashion said...

LOVE the blue, black, gray combo!!!!

piglet said...

Gorgeous outfit! I love how you wore grey tights instead of predictable black.

FashionAddict said...

This is perfect! I love love love the color combo.

catherine_sr. said...

I'm looking forward to your first lesson post! My way of dealing with difficult skirts is to just slap a black top on... it works, but I need to snap out of my routine!
I adore the way you are working with black here (all the different texture), though, and it's definitely inspiring, considering that so much of my own wardrobe is that particular (non)color!
the renegade bean

Hillary said...

I love the touch of sot gray! This outfit is perfect for teaching.

Post a Comment