Monday, January 18, 2010

Neutral Territory

Neutral Territory

Works Cited
sweater: urban outfitters
tank: old navy
cord skirt: hand-me-down from seattle friend
tights: leggs
boots: j crew

Last week, wise reader Charmalade aptly noted that I might wear some color once in a blue moon. After musing about this all weekend, swearing to myself that I'd pull out something yellow or red or purple, I end up in this ridiculously color-neutral outfit for an important meeting. Something about grays and blacks makes me feel in safe territory, and today I had to meet with the most brilliant and terrifying senior professor and ask him to be on my dissertation committee.

Neutral Territory

Because I wanted to ask him to join my committee based on my brain, it was no wonder I gravitated toward stylistically neutral pieces I felt put together in--cord pencil skirt, grown-up sweater, black underthings and boots.

Oh, and he said yes--so my committee is finally all put together! Whew!

On this celebratory note, I swear you'll see color this week, at least a few times. We all need it given the weather.

Happy MLK day!!

15 comments:

caffeinerd said...

It may be neutral, but I love the look! Jealous of the skirt...need some cord or denim skirts in my life.

Sidewalk Chalk said...

Congrats on filling your dissertation committee!
You look great and I love your boots.
Hope you have a fabulous week!

- JoAnn, Sidewalk Chalk

Charmalade said...

It's really a flattering lie that you'd call me "wise." :P

That's great you got the terrifyingly brilliant professor's ok! but maybe some blue every blue moon? Or maybe some peach, or lemon, or lime. I'm talking about pie, of course.

Jen said...

nothing wrong with a lack of color :) you look so lovely in all neutrals. congrats on getting your committee put together!

Elaine said...

I actually like neutrals so this outfit is a win for me! :) That's great you were able to finish putting together your committee!! Hope you had a great three day weekend :)


clothedmuch.blogspot.com

thatsorad said...

So awesome! congradulations!

I personaly love neutral tones. I wear them alot. but when I wear color it gets noticed which is nice! I love your boots and can not wait to see what color you deside to wear!

piglet said...

I love all grey outfits! They always seem very warm and comforting to me for some reason.

Larysse Tavares said...

Seriouslu, this look is great! It really seems to be 'safe'. And specially for this occasion, right? Congrats by the way!

:o)

The Closet of Kim (ShopKim) said...

That's great that he said yes - congrats!! I think neutral outfits can still be very pretty and you certainly did a good job with this one.

Loving that street too! What a great location for pics.

Molly said...

<3 the riding boots

簡單 said...

first catch your hare, then cook him. ..................................................

orchidsinbuttonholes said...

Oh congratulations on finalizing your committee! That must feel wonderful.

I love neutrals and feel most comfortable in them, too. Colors are fun and funky, but most often when I need all my confidence for a big meeting like that, I turn to neutrals. I love the silhouette of this outfit, and the play of different neutals. You look lovely!

anagha said...

Congrats on getting your committee together! And as neutrals go, I think this is a nice combo. It's got a good balance of dark and light :)

MichelleF said...

Love your blog! And this outfit is adorable. I love the background you used, too.

<3 Michelle

http://spacecricket.tumblr.com

Filigree said...

This is one of my favourite posts. I don't think that you "need" to wear colour. These dreamy neutrals suit your complexion and hair colour perfectly, and the shape is very flattering for you.

Post a Comment