Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Winter Style Project--Part 3.2

Winter Style Project Part 3.2

Winter Style Project Part 3.2

Works Cited
plaid shirt: recently thrifted
turtleneck: hand-me-down
jeans: j. crew outlet
vest: old navy
belt: j. crew
boots: l.l. bean (or as we call it in my family, b.b. lean)

Installment of the Winter Style Project Part 3.2: creative layering. The blog-world is full of inventive layering, the undisputed queen of which is S. from academichic, who remixes her clothes endlessly and inventively. J. Crew's styling team also does a pretty incredible job of layering seven sweaters and making them look effortlessly cool, though it doesn't hurt that their models have legs like toothpicks (check out their December catalogue here). I also happen to think Ellenitza, Chelsea, and Julie are pretty inspired when it comes to layering. Am I getting senile, or have I posted this layering inspiration before (?): shade does 7 beautiful outfits out of one button-up.

Today I flexed my own layering muscles and layered a basic wool turtleneck over a plaid button-up (recently thrifted for $2 yahoo!). I wanted to layer unexpected items together (i.e. not a white tee under a navy sweater, as I am so often wont to do) and this plaid shirt I picked up is perfect for toning down preppier pieces. I folded up the collar of the plaid shirt so it would peek through the top of the turtleneck (as an added bonus, it helps prevent itchy wool from being next to your neck), and left the shirttail hanging out and the sleeves rolled up. Then I layered a puffy vest over it all, and belted it to give it a bit more shape. I love the unexpected pop of plaid at the wrists and neck and the way skinny jeans looked tucked into my beloved duck boots. Forgive how strange I look in the bottom photo--it is absolutely freezing and I momentarily shivered without my jacket. Brrr!


La Historiadora de Moda said...

Yay for duck boots! Great layering job!

Thanks for your sweet comment on my post from yesterday! There are a myriad of reasons that adjuncting is not ideal, but it would allow me to keep doing what I love and that is some comfort.


E said...

I'm such a fan of the grunge revival and you're channeling it so well. I love a good puffy vest, too.

Julie said...

Great plaid shirt! I need one or twelve of those. And who'd have ever thought to layer a vest with a belt? Love that!

Chelsea said...

dear layering genius - you look adorable in this ensemble. I especially love the plaid underneath the turtleneck! I haven't been able to make this work for me yet (neck too short maybe?), but I will try again! and the duck boots are darling tucked into your pants.

caffeinerd said...

Such a fun pop o' plaid! And I'm starting to crave some boots a la' "b.b. lean"...when one hates "Uggs" or anything that resembles them one needs a bad weather alternative! ;)

Emily Kennedy said...

He he! Love L. L. Bean! Your styling of this outfit was very fresh. Good stuff!

Elaine said...

LOVE how you styled the boots in the first pic!!!

Fell 4 Fashion said...

I love the unexpectedness of the collared plaid shirt under the turtleneck!

SunnyYellow said...

I love the whole outfit, but I think the belt looks out of place on that vest, especially because there is a line about an inch below were it changes textures.

Mounia said...

So incredibly adorable!
I love the belt over poofy vest (:

Post a Comment