Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Winter Style Project--Part 3.1

Winter Style Project Part 3.1

Winter Style Project Part 3.1

Works Cited
black dress: gap
bright green tee: gift
green tank: old navy
tights: gap
sweater: mommed
boots: j crew
earrings: made by friend

Welcome to Winter Style Project Part 3--layering. Because layering is perhaps the most important cold-weather sartorial skill, this week will be dedicated to different types of layers. Today's Part 3.1 is light layers. Today I repurposed a very summery dress for below freezing temps. Because I hate the feeling of my clothes being "scroogy" (a family word meaning one's layers are twisted up or too bundled and hence restrict movement), layering several light pieces helps to modify summer clothes into winter ones to keep me warm and comfortable.

Here I layered four basic pieces: tank, long-sleeved shirt, dress, and sweater. The tank and long-sleeved tee are both close-fitting so they don't rumple or wrinkle under the dress (if you need more help on this, Sal did the most inspired and informative post on layering without lumps yesterday). I wrapped the dress tie around the sweater to highlight my waist and to prevent the bow from looking lumpy under the sweater in the back. A shorter sweater works well on a dress like this, because the empire waist band hits about in the middle of the sweater. A longer sweater tied under the breastbone ends up making my torso look too long. I also love the way the bright green shirt peeps out from the wrists of the darker sweater (but layering with bright colors is an entry for another day...)

Superthick tights (and of course, smartwool socks inside the boots) keep my legs and feet warm. Off for another busy day of paper writing. Do you guys repurpose summer dresses, too? What are your tricks? I am genuinely eager to know (and I may just highlight your idea in my Winter Style Project)!


myedit said...

Note to self: Must repurpose a summer dress as you so aptly demonstrated.
And thanks for the definition to my new word of the day 'scroogy'.

Anna said...

I'm wearing a summery dress right now with a t-shirt, tights, and boots. Not only is it warm (tights are amazing!), but it's as comfortable as pajamas.

La Historiadora de Moda said...

You did a great layering job here!

I have repurposed a summer dress a couple of times. I think my most successful attempt thus far was this one: http://fashionableacademics.blogspot.com/2009/11/boldly-belted-zebra.html

Chelsea said...

fabulous layering... I love the bright green peaking out at your wrists!

I'm getting more into layering lately... a good skill year-round in the bay (as you know!).

ShopKim said...

You did a great job with this! It looks very well put together and the colors are great. I love the bright green peeking out. Even though I've seen it done before, your wrapping around the cardi made it dawn on me that I might be able to get use out of a top I put away - so thanks! As for layering up a summer dress, this is a version I've done of it. http://shopkimsblog.blogspot.com/2009/11/fall-er-izing.html I was really happy with how it turned out.

Moni said...

I repurpose summer dresses all the time. In the last two months I've only worn pants about 5 times. If it's not that cold I'll only wear a long-sleeved tee under the dress. As it gets colder I'll add a sweater on type or layer a cashmere (thin but warm) sweater over the tee but under the dress. I wear two pairs of tights for extra warmth. I also tuck my tops into my tights to hold them in place and prevent scrooging! I love playing with color and texture in my layers and tights.

SunnyYellow said...

why do you look so cute when you layer summer dresses and I look so crazy, I wouldn't be suprised if people crossed the street to avoid me? What is the trick?

Marta Castellanos said...

That´s a great post!!It´s important to work well in the art of layering!!I love how you did, and that kind of green it´s very nice!


Julie said...

what a pretty shade of green, both tights and top!

piglet said...

I do this too - long sleeve top under a dress and a cardigan over.
Love the green peeking out of the sleeves!

Post a Comment