Friday, December 11, 2009

Winter Style Project--Part 1

Winter Style Project Part 1

Winter Style Project Part 1

Works Cited
oversized sweater: gift from friend (tulle)
jeans: gap
belt: gift
boots: indigo
earrings: forever 21
ring: urban outfitters

Thanks to all your amazing comments on my post yesterday, and the general griping around blog-world about trying to dress for winter, I'm starting a Winter Style Project. The goal: figuring out how to get dressed in below-freezing temperatures without resembling a Michelin Man, your grandmother, or a giant walking sleeping bag. It would also be ideal to feel chic and like yourself even while you're staying warm.

Welcome to Part 1: the oversized sweater. There is nothing cozier than a big sweater in the middle of winter, and I am tempted to throw them over everything. The problem is feeling a few sizes bigger than usual once you layer them over your cords or wool trousers. As Emily wisely warned yesterday, it's best to balance the proportions when you're wearing a giant sweater. I kept this slimming (or at least, tried) by pairing it with skinny jeans and boots. I also belted the middle to give the look more shape.

I also think some bright jewelry (big earrings and a bright ring) do a lot to brighten up a gray look. And mmmm: check out the lovely kangaroo pocket on this sweater...is there anything better?

Stay tuned for the next installment! (and please insert your two cents on staying chic in winter--I can use all the ideas I can get!).


Pocket Detail

16 comments:

Elaine said...

This is cute! I like the sweater and the boots. I unforunately don't have an oversized sweater... I need to go look for some ASAP!


clothedmuch.blogspot.com

betz said...

love this look. and the belt is amazing!

http://herarmoire.blogspot.com

Emily Kennedy said...

Yaaaay!!!

I love the tunic sweater! I love how you styled it! I love that you're doing a winter wear project! AND I got a shout-out, what what?!

Man, you're killin' it today.

Chelsea said...

oooh I am all for this project! you look fabulous... that belt is perfect for that glorious sweater :)

Rachel said...

You look fabulous! I'm especially loving your boots!

Sal said...

Very wise! A big comfy sweater is just as big and comfy when it's belted.

La Historiadora de Moda said...

You look warm and chic!!

chic said...

this looks great! That belt is lovely and I think you hit it right on the money with your play with proportions. This looks warm and comfy while still extremely flattering.

Love the hair in your last couple of posts too, btw. ;)

S.

jesse.anne.o said...

Woohoo. I'm excited about this project. Winter is the bane of my existence.

overcaffeinated said...

I love this look! You look cozy and chic, and the belt works very nicely. I am loving the pockets on that sweater.

Julie said...

Lovin' it. A gray oversized sweater soon becomes a uniform...I have several. I looked at the brand and realized why I loved yours so much...tulle makes such lovely things!

Lorena said...

Great sweater....

E said...

I'm such a fan of your motorcyle boots! I need good pair of short, flat boots like those!

Fell 4 Fashion said...

U look wonderfully warm, chic and comfortable in this! Can't wait to see more of your series :)

piglet said...

Giant walking sleeping bag, hehe!
Love your boots.

Marie McGrath (The Joy of Fashion) said...

The sweater looks awesome on u!

www.thejoyoffashion.blogspot.com

Post a Comment