Thursday, December 17, 2009

Philosophy of an Outfit

Philosophy of an Outfit

Philosophy of an Outfit

Works Cited
blue button-up: thrifted
dress: ann taylor loft
belt: urban outfitters
flats: steve madden
tights: hue

Some days, my ensembles have a clear philosophy behind them. This was definitely the case last night, when I changed out of my extremely layered look to meet up with some friends for an early celebration of my roommate's birthday. (By the way: although I loved yesterday's outfit, it provoked more silence than usual on the internets--I'm always fascinated by how outfits I thought would be great translate badly, or looks I feel ambivalent about are greeted with a lot of praise. I love that I never know what to expect.)

Last night, I was excited to take a break from all the studying I've been doing (sigh), but the clock was ticking on my fun because I had so much more work to do after our mini-celebration. Without even realizing it, I channeled this tension into what I wore out to drinks: a fancy black dress with a big ruffled collar (fun) over my schoolboy button-up shirt (studying). One part party, one part scholarship.

Does this ever happen to you?


La Historiadora de Moda said...

I love this! You look adorable!

I also find the fluctuating number of comments on our blog posts over at Fashionable Academics interesting, if sometimes frustrating.

Anna said...

Oh, I really liked your outfit yesterday. I was actually thinking of trying something similar. Did you find the collars at all annoying?

overcaffeinated said...

I thought yesterday's outfit was super cute. It looked very outdoorsy yet stylish... a look I find hard to pull off.

I love this outfit too. I love how you are able to marry two completely different pieces.

Sal said...

I love how you can do traditional and relatively conservative looks, and put such fantastically subtle twists on them, doll.

What Would a Nerd Wear said...

Anna, the collars weren't annoying, but they might have been if the neck of the sweater was too tight. I don't like the feel of wool next to my neck, so it was actually nice to have some thin cotton between. Let me know if you try it!
And thank you for sweet comments, all. :)

Emily Kennedy said...

Two things I have learned in studying the relationship between blogging and comments are (and yes, I have just completed two graduate research papers on the topic):

1. Commenting on others' blogs will increase the comments you receive on your own; it's the principle of reciprocity.

2. Some days people are just swamped and can't get around to saying everything they would like.

Food for thought!

Your second outfit of the day is awesome! I can't get over how slick a dress over button down looks!

Jenni said...

I love this outfit! So cute!! And I love the pic with the bookcase - so classy and so nerd!!

I must confess that I've been swamped this week, so my posting/commenting has been "occasional" at best.

A-C said...

This outfit is gorgeous! I like how you chose gray tights instead of black to keep things from getting somber.

As for yesterday's outfit, I liked the combination and would have commented except for exams and studying and stuff (sorry!).

Julie said...

For sure I know what you mean...I'll post something, hear nothing about it, then stare at it and try to figure out what was so strange about it that no one decided to post. But I was totally inspired by that belt/vest combo! And LOVE the collar on this black dress.

jesse.anne.o said...

That dress is wonderful and I like this pairing. And yes, totally - it's funny how our thoughts sometimes manifest in clothing.

betz said...

i love this outfit. you look so adorable.

Sidewalk Chalk said...

I love the pairing of that shirt with the dress. Beautiful! - JoAnn, Sidewalk Chalk

piglet said...

This is so cute! I love the button up underneath.



Post a Comment