Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Dressing Like Grandpa

Dressing Like Grandpa

Dressing Like Grandpa

Works Cited
jeans: gap
brown tank: target
white tee: gap
sweater: urban outfitters
scarf: gift
brogues: steve madden

on sister:
sweater: old navy
shorts: thrifted
tights: mommed
boots: jeremy's

Thanks to the recent arrival of my suitcase, I have an actual mini wardrobe to work with (hurrah!). I am usually terrible at packing well for trips but I tried especially hard to pack the kinds of accessories I thought I would want to wear and plenty of clean tee shirts (which is weirdly enough what I always skimp on). My sartorial goal for vacation is to be as comfortable as possible without looking entirely homeless. This ensemble succeeded in these goals--comfortable grandpa cardigan, my old man brogues, and a scarf (a terrific gift from Turkey). Although I feel a bit like an 80 year-old man (and look about as lumpy as one in that second photo--sigh), I love the intricate pattern of the scarf and the mix of neutrals.

My sister is braving the shorts and tights trend (I think it looks terrific on her). She reports an anxiety about the brown shoes with black tights and sweater, but I think it's smashing. Please tell me you agree--black boots would have been matching overkill, right?


Filigree said...

"Grandpa" is the new "Hot Mamma"?

Chelsea Talks Smack said...

i totally love it!

Viktoria with a K said...

Shorts with tights bothers my husband like crazy (he won't let me try it), but I think it looks great on her!

I am petrified to wear black tights and brown boots, but in this outfit you're right-- black boots would have been too matchy.

Love your shoes!

La Historiadora de Moda said...

Yay for suitcase arrival! I love that scarf on you, and tell your sister that the brown boots look awesome with her outfit!

ShopKim said...

The brown boots look perfect!

caffeinerd said...

I agree--I have been loving cognac boots with black over at academichic! Looks great on your sister. Love your scarf!

betz said...

you look chic!


Elaine said...

Yes, it would've definitely been too matchy-matchy! I love the black and brown combo!

And you look so comfy and chic! Perfect for vacationing. That's all I packed too! I am all about comfort! Love the different shades of brown here. and I will always covet your Steve Madden brogues.

Hope you're enjoying your holiday vacation!


overcaffeinated said...

You dress like the cutest and most chic grandpa I've ever seen!

I'm in love with the brogues still, and your sis looks great.

piglet said...

Firstly, brown boots go with everything! I think they're even more versitile than black boots.
Secondly, love your shoes and rolled jeans!

Sidewalk Chalk said...

I love your scarf -- I don't think you look like a grandpa at all :) And you make me want to get a pair of brogues asap. Glad your suitcase came in!
I love your sister's shorts with tights --- it looks really chic and is on trend. Mismatching boots and tights colors are great -- makes the boots pop even more.
Have a great holiday! - JoAnn, Sidewalk Chalk

Julie said...

Your cardigan is the prettiest. And yes, she is rocking that look! Wish I could!

Muito Igual a VocĂȘ said...

Gorgeous ;)

Anna said...

You both look amazing! I think that brown boots go with just about anything, so your sister needn't worry. And you do not look "lumpy"!

Sal said...

OK, this might be the only outfit I've EVER seen where I truly love the look of brogues on a gal. Well played, kitten!

Also, might I hop on your blogroll? I'd be honored, and I've just popped you into mine!

Fashion Therapist said...

I'm LOVING your style. New to your blog, but loving your outfit posts.

Stacy said...

love your cardigan and your sister's boots! you guys are so cute


Tieka, Selective Potential said...

Loving this! Adorable blog.. so glad you commented so I can now follow!

Teresa said...

Love your oxfords with the rolled up jeans! Super cute!


Audi said...

The brown boots were definitely the way to go -- black would've been to cliche. Also, my grandpa never looked that stylish. ;-)

Post a Comment