Wednesday, December 9, 2009

The Cold Weather Staple

The Cold-Weather Staple

Works Cited
black turtleneck: gap
scarf: bought on the street in SF
jeans: j crew outlet
clogs: dansko
earrings: gift

I hate to do an indoor shot (particularly because there is no good place in my house to take them), but the outdoors is a dangerous place to be today. There are winds gusting 35-55 mph, with icy roads and snow drifts. Out of a window on campus today, I spotted a giant, handicap-accessible port-a-potty getting dragged down the street by the wind. Yipes!

Given the horrendous weather, I turned to the most basic wardrobe staple for comfort: the black turtleneck. Mine is knit and ultra-soft and keeps me warm even while it looks streamlined. I paired it with a patterned scarf to give the look some interest and was forced to forego leopard print flats for sturdy clogs, given the situation out of doors.

Although it's simple, this outfit has classic colors, nice clean lines, and warmth without bulkiness. And if you haven't already, go check out my guest post at the glamorous grad student!

11 comments:

caffeinerd said...

The winds are terrifying here, too. I have hidden inside enough today...finally time to head out and brave the weather!

This scarf is great!

Chelsea said...

loved your guest post, and this classic cold weather look is great. the scarf adds great detail (and comes from my favorite city!).

Melissa Blake said...

Hi -- great outfit. I love that I found your blog!

Sal said...

There really isn't a thing in the world cozier than a turtleneck. Love that bright scarf against it.

Emily Kennedy said...

Holy cannoli! And I thought the 20 mph winds we were having here were bad!

Sidewalk Chalk said...

That scarf looks great with the black turtleneck. Those winds sound pretty scary! Hope the bike riding (or the alternative transportation plan, given the weather) wasn't too bad today. - JoAnn

Anna said...

Dansko clogs are the best for all kinds of bad weather, aren't they?

La Historiadora de Moda said...

The wind is insane here too. My commute was a little treacherous because of it, so I'm thrilled there was no snow on top of that wind here. I'm wearing a black turtleneck today, too! I'm a day behind on my outfit posts, though.

E said...

That scarf is beautiful. I love a good scarf to spice up an outfit :-)

Elaine said...

I like it. It's simple, practical, and the scarf gives it that little touch of color and pattern! Be careful out there!! It sounds scary...


clothedmuch.blogspot.com

Jen said...

i love how simple and chic this outfit is. a classic black turtle neck spiced up with a lovely scarf :)

Post a Comment