Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Leather and Lace, On The Cheap

Leather and Lace, on the cheap

Leather and Lace, on the cheap

Works Cited
lace-trim top: forever 21
brown skirt: old navy
belt: my mother's
leather flats: palladium
earrings: gift from C.

I love the way this outfit turned out, and I'm proud to say nothing I'm wearing cost more than $20, even the flats (which I stalked on Amazon until the price dropped from $80 to $17.50!). I'm wearing a few pieces I've already worn on this trip in new ways--I wore this skirt at the hips a couple days ago, and I wore this top as a long layering piece earlier this week. I'm wearing this jersey skirt from Old Navy hiked up around my waist and belted with one of my mother's now-vintage belts, to create the illusion of a high-waisted skirt. I tucked my extra-long lace top into it. I like the very neutral palette of this outfit, and the way the metallic earrings (perhaps too small to see) play off the earth tone colors.

I'm so glad that I've seen lots of people wearing these little side-braids these days. I used to do my hair like this all the time (below, when I was studying abroad at twenty, with much chubbier-cheeks, riding a merry-go-round in Florence). It's easy-to-do, pretty, and keeps flyaway bangs in place--what's not to love?

7 comments:

Maggie May said...

i love braids of all kinds

cute top with thin belted skirt!

poet said...

Hi fellow nerd,

I just found your blog, and I really like it! I also wear these side-braids all the time, I can't afford to go and get my hair cut...

Greetings,
poet

Marie McGrath (The Joy of Fashion) said...

very cute! I love the lace on the top, it makes it look very feminine :)

www.thejoyoffashion.blogspot.com

La Historiadora de Moda said...

Great top and what an excellent shoe stalking success!

Filigree said...

It also disguises unwashed hair! What's not to love indeed. I used to wear my hair like this all the time and got really good at braiding it, fast. But apparently I am out of touch - Tried to do it a couple of days ago for an art photoshoot and it was a mess. Need to brush up on my Heidi skillz!

Filigree said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
juliamarisa said...

i love the simplicity of this outfit and i especially love the top. i had a cream and lace moment when i was fifteen and unfortunately the leftovers don't fit me anymore. time to go shopping?

Post a Comment