Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Catalogue Copycat

Catalogue Copycat


Catalogue Copycat

Works Cited
gray-blue dress: ann taylor
striped button-up: forever 21
navy sweater: j crew
tights: target
socks: gap
boots: indigo

This look was a pretty blatant copycat of this one by J. Crew from its November catalogue. I had actually worn this outfit before with the turtleneck underneath, and while it was warm and cozy, it looked like one too many layers on me.
J. Crew models pull off a lot of baggy layers because many of them have slimmer, longer figures than I. Wearing six layers, I look more like a bag lady than a supermodel.

This dress is from Ann Taylor Loft and was on sale for $9! Even though it's a small, it's a big baggy on me, so I'm wearing it almost as a jumper over a button-up shirt, which also dresses it up more. I love making tank dresses into jumpers by layering them over button-ups and henleys.

The dress came with a tie, which I simply removed and retied around my sweater. Because it's quite cold today, I doubt I'll want to take off my sweater and have to deal with the hassle of re-tying anything.

And don't mind the bags under my eyes: here's what I've been doing all week.


Sal said...

I like your interpretation even better than the original! Sophisticated and modern.

Thrush Vintage said...

I love the layering, and your outfit looks way better than the inspiration!

Healthy and Homemade said...

I just found your blog, and I love it =)

Your style is great, I would wear all of your outfits in a heartbeat! Check out my blog if you get a chance, I'm adding you to my reader.

What Would a Nerd Wear said...

thank you!

chic said...

This looks great! I actually took a screen shot of that same J Crew outfit and was hoping to somehow recreate it! Nicely done, though, I love your version of it!

Good luck with the strike! I hope you guys can achieve your goals of higher tuition waivers! S.

chic said...

PS: I just added you to our blogroll - what a great new 'academic' site to add to our bibliography! S.

What Would a Nerd Wear said...

thank you, S.! (and the strike just ended with great results for our contract--what a joy and relief!)

Dottie said...

These types of posts are so fun. I'm way more interested in seeing how real people are wearing clothes than catalog models. Your version looks way better, too.

Muito Igual a VocĂȘ said...

I really think you're prettier than the almost-skull-models (just invented that!) wearing these clothes. By the way, in my blog I'm always saying that we are beautiful just the way we are. We don't need people saying what we MUST wear, how we MUST be. I love your style cause you're real,like me,like all the other girls that I know. And it feels so good knowing that I can wear nice clothes in my real not-so-slim body. Thanks, thanks, thanks.

In English, the name of my blog is

Just Like You

I mean, we're the same, no matter what we wear, where we live. We are human beings.We have the same needs. The big difference is how we choose things in life with what we have. We should live in a happy way, without worrying somuch trying tobe someone else.

About the bags under your eyes, relax. Real people have that.

Have a great weekend!
I'm always here,checking out what you post.
Kisses, Larysse.

elledee said...

ha. your version is more fall-ish. i like it!

Orchid Grey said...

I love how you've layered!

c_c_rider said...

ditto to sal's comment. your version is much better than the j.crew one. the boots are a nice choice.

Marie McGrath (The Joy of Fashion) said...

You did a great job on this outfit! the layering is great! I also like getting inspiration from pictures and what others wear... it really is a good source of new ideas.

Catherine said...

I love this outfit! Great blog.

Post a Comment