Monday, November 23, 2009

Accidental Matching

Accidental Matching

Accidental Matching

Works Cited
on me:
maroon sweater: newly thrifted (org. j crew)
pink tee: j crew outlet
brown skirt: old navy
sandals: birkenstock
bag: thrifted at antique store last summer

on mom:
maroon sweater: ralph lauren
striped tee: ralph lauren
brown pants: jones new york
clogs: sanita

Even though we've lived apart for seven years, my mother and I came out this morning with accidentally matching outfits. Dark red sweaters, brown pants/skirt, brown shoes. Because my mom and I have similar body types and similarly classic styles, I learn a lot about what I can wear by what flatters her (bet you never knew that, Mom!). Dark red is a color that flatters both of us, and I think it was both of our instincts to play up our narrower top halves and downplay our wider hips with a dark neutral on bottom. I don't own very much in this dark red color, but I fell in love with this sweater yesterday while I was out rooting around in my favorite thrift stores. I can hardly believe I don't own a sweater this color already--it would go well with pink (a color I have trouble wearing but own quite a bit of), with gray, brown, and black; or even with more exciting colors like a dark orange or a yellow.

Forgive the awkward bottom photo, taken by my mother who was bossing me around (for a change) and insisting that I keep my head and arms very straight while she took the photo (she had squawked last night, "Why are you looking down in all these blog photos? Your mother wants to see your face!"). So I ended up looking like a stiff mannequin, but at least my mother will like it.


Melanie's Randomness said...

My mom and I sometimes come out like this too. One day i went to her doll meeting & we were side by side & everybody was lookin at us weird. I was like, "What is this?" Then we realized we both had on bright purple shirts. It was soo weirrrd. lol.

I like your maroon top. It's so fallish.

Rick Hecht said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rick Hecht said...

I don't think the bottom photo looks so awkward- and you will make your mother happy. Nice sweater!

Dottie said...

Aw, yay for moms.

La Historiadora de Moda said...

The first picture is so sweet! I hope you are having a wonderful visit!

Fell 4 Fashion said...

This is too funny! Somtimes my mom and I do that too!! :)

Post a Comment